Walking expert and co-founder of Walkactive, Joanna Hall, says:
“Walking is simple, easy, and just about anyone can do it. Whether someone is completely new to exercise, wants to firm up, lose excess Christmas pounds, or just get fitter and healthier, walking is perfect.”
Try Walkactive’s top five tips and start stepping into shape:
- Invest in a good pedometer – studies show that individuals who wear a pedometer are significantly more physically active than those who don’t.
- Establish your average daily baseline – use your pedometer to record the number of steps you take per day for four days and work out your average steps per day (ideally include a weekend and work day to get a truer reflection of your weekly activity). During the first week you must match your baseline number of steps every day, then for the next four weeks, depending on how fit you are, add 500 or 1,000 steps to your baseline and match that new baseline each day. This approach gets you fitter gradually and helps you feel in control.
- Establish your Optimum Walking Pace™ - this is the pace at which you feel slightly out of breath, feel you need to take off a layer of clothing and is most probably the pace you may walk at if you are late for a meeting but don’t want to break into a run!
- Fine footwear - your footwear is the most important asset. Look for good support in your ankle and forefoot – comfort and support do matter.
- Spread your steps - split your days into zones and aim for a certain number of steps in eachof three or four time zones. This stops you having to achieve a huge step target all in one go at the end of the day, plus challenges you to use walking as a form of travel and reduces your carbon footprint.
Alissa Twisk, charity walking expert and co–founder of Walkactive, says: “Whether it’s walking to get fit, train for a charity walk, firm up, or lose weight, we have trained thousands of people to get the results they deserve.
"Our courses include venues around the South East. We've also launched our online club so we can motivate and encourage in-between training sessions through weekly e-mail support, monthly online chats with Joanna and myself, and exclusive discounts on our courses and events.”
Further details can be found at www.walkactive.co.uk.