Renowned chef Ken Hom shares some of his wisdom for a healthy Chinese New Year: Stir-fries are a great and easy way to get your five-a-day and many of the ingredients help promote wellbeing:
garlic helps lower cholesterol;
chillies help fight off common colds;
ginger acts as a remedy for a number of ailments including nausea, heartburn and indigestion;
sesame oil has been shown to help lower cholesterol levels; coriander, an excellent source of magnesium and iron, has been known to help with digestive problems and bacterial infections.
Serves 4 to 6
- 1lb (450g) fresh or frozen peas
- 1 tbs oil, preferably groundnut
- 2 tbs fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tbs spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- If you are using fresh peas, blanch them in boiling water for two minutes, drain and set aside. If you are using frozen peas, let them thaw at room temperature.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan until it is hot, then add the oil.
- Add the peas and stir-fry for 30 seconds, then add the fresh coriander, spring onions, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper and continue to stir-fry for three minutes or until the peas are cooked.
- Add the sesame oil and give the mixture a final stir and serve at once.
10 minute Salmon with spring onion sauce
- 1lb (450g) fresh salmon fillets
- 2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp freshly ground white/black pepper
- 1 pint (570ml) water
- 6 tbs coarsely chopped spring onions
- 1 tbs finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 11⁄2 tbs oil (preferably ground nut)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Rub the salmon fillets with one teaspoon of the salt and the pepper.
- Bring the water to the simmer in the wok. Add the salmon, simmer for 2-3 minutes, cover tightly and turn off the heat. Allow to stand for 4 minutes.
- Combine the spring onions, ginger and the remaining one teaspoon salt together in a small bowl.
- In a small pan combine the oil and sesame oil and bring it to the smoking point.
- Remove the salmon from the water and arrange on a platter. Scatter the spring onion mixture on top and pour hot oil over it. Serve at once.
For more information please visit www.kenhom.com
Ken Hom’s new Easy Store wok plus accessories are available in John Lewis and all good cookshops nationwide.