publication date: Jan 1, 2008
author/source: Rasheed Ogunlaru
The main reasons we fail to keep our resolutions or achieve the success and happiness they represent is we’re not holistic and specific.
We’re often negative and set the goals we feel we should rather than those we really want. It’s all very well wanting to shed a few pounds or change job but you need to set specific goals in the context of your whole life to be really motivated – that way you will take action and will succeed.
Top Ten Tips for resolutions that stick
- Forget what others do: do it for you. Forget the pressure from mum, mates and the media. Set goals for you - take responsibility and follow them through.
- Think ahead: set three year goals. We overestimate what we can achieve in a year and underestimate what we can in three. Set a three year plan – as businesses do - to give you scope and time to set and achieve goals in all areas of your life and career.
- Be holistic: any resolution like “to stop smoking” must be set in the big picture of your life. Starting with the big picture of what you want in your whole life, career and relationships - to give you the motivation to identify and take the steps necessary.
- Start with the end in mind: when you go on holiday or make any trip you start by deciding/visualising your destination and then plan the steps and resources you’ll need. This sets your mind on success. Apply this to your life goals and you’ll fly.
- Your self, your health and your wealth: set a goal for these three areas as it will help you achieve the inner, physical and financial fulfilment and security humans seek.
- Be specific: identify the what, why, where, when, how much/many of your goals. Like shopping the clearer the list you have, the quicker and easier the shopping trip.
- Be positive: millions of people focus on what they want and low and behold they get it. Let go of negative relationships and build positive ones or you’ll be held back.
- Small, steady steps: break each task into small steps, this helps your mind be clear on what you need to do and increases confidence.
- See everything as feedback: flowers need both sun and rain to grow. Champions become so by learning from trials and triumph in equal measure.
- Get support: who do you know who can help you? you can’t / needn’t do it alone.
Rasheed is offering four life coaching sessions for £250 - a discount of £50 for PWT members.
For further information or to find out how coaching can help you, call Rasheed Ogunlaru on 020 7207 1082, visit www.rasaru.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org